Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The second project was to create a piece that utilized either Juxtaposition, Transformation, or Distortion. I decided to focus mine on Transformation. I looked around the internet at some other works done on transformation, and tried to come up with two or more things that I could transform. Animal transformation and metamorphosis draw my interest so I decided to merge two animals into a single creature. After some thought I decided to do a bird and a sea creature. Initially I thought I was going to do a rooster and an octopus, but after some initial sketches I decided that I didn't like the rooster because the colours were not working for what I was trying to do. I looked around some more and settled on a Pigeon. This also lead to the idea of exaggerating the size and having this Pigeon/octopus creatures size and having it attack a sea-side city. At first I had the head positioned upright on the body of the octopus, but it was loosing some of it's awkwardness and was far too rigid. I decided to maintain the soft, malleable fleshy feel of the octopus up into the neck of the pigeon which made the head tilt back. I further emphasized the uneasiness of the creature by adding back in the eye of the rooster as well as an altered version of the neck warble. This made it somewhat phallic, but I decided to leave it as it works well with the rest of the image. After the image was painted and inked in the way I had planned, it felt as though something was still missing, so I went back in with a fine tip and added more sketch/scratch marks around some of the areas like the clouds and hatching in the rocks. The addition of some black splatter relates back to the ink defenses of the octopus portion of the creature and creates some interest and contrast to the soft watercolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment