Thursday, February 10, 2011

Journal; the "Brocade, Lace, and Feathers" edition.

 So by the time I got the email about the photo and all that jazz, I had already completed my mask. I decided to do a photo-shoot with a model instead of just placing the mask in a setting and photographing it. Because of the steampunk/pirate/arts and crafts look to the mask, I am drawing inspiration from Victorian/Edwardian costuming, Steampunk & Pirate cosplay, Greek myth, and Cartooning. I began with some sketches, image and materials collection  and I think I have a concept that synthesizes the themes into a coherent aesthetic. Tomorrow I have arranged with my hair and makeup artists and the model to meet me at the locations that I went and scouted out today. Hopefully I'll be able to get the shots I need and the weather cooperates. In addition to amalgamating the different styles and aesthetics of the various areas into a single image, I am going to play with gender roles in this piece. Because of the combined costuming from several areas, it naturally became a bit androgynous, and having a female model wearing the male mask will hopefully bring to binary into sharper focus. I am excited to do this piece, I just hope that I have enough time to get it all worked together the way that I want it. The digital work is going to be extremely time consuming :S

 So it's a female Icarus in a steam-driven Victorian age, with corsets, brocade, lace, ruffles, blimps and boilers. Likely over-exposed and finished in desaturated sepia tones. It plays on male/female, youth/aged, and bringing together elements of different time periods. Im not sure if I have a message that I want it to convey, but it is going to be a whole lot of fun and fantasy... if I can make it work in the time that we have.

*the sketches are just some ideas for posturing and some detail work, nothing solid; simply idea generation for the development of this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment