Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Mask We Wear

So there it is, The plaster mask after a couple days of play and experimentation. Even though I dont enjoy the feeling of the plaster covering my face and I ended up building a rather featureless face-shape from a news-print built form, I had a lot of fun with this project. Once the plaster was dry, I brought it home to put on some finishing touches and decided that I didn't like any of the sketches I had done. Instead I decided to take the opportunity to dig through my various boxes of collected odds n' ends and have some fun. I started by painting the base with a lot of different colours in a mid-value range and then gave it some form by sinking in the eye sockets and cheeks with some very deep purples and greens. After dug through the boxes and selected some bits I thought could work for this. Some National Geographic images of predator animals on the hunt, some watch gears, bits of foam, etc. I am extremely pleased with the way that it turned out in the end. If I were to change anything it would be to put more hair on the top of the head and to carve the sponge that makes the mustache more or use a different material. Something I like a lot is the mono-goggle/eye-piece thing. The ear pad from a broken set of head phones found in my neighbors recycling was perfect for this. I had used it to make some marks on a painting last year and the dried paint on it really adds to the playfulness of the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment