Friday, January 21, 2011

Spiral Staircase

The final Mandala:
I ended up using aspects of the drawing I did in class (last post) but my process took me much further and I developed this image instead. In class we put them up and told the class briefly about the image. From there we were asked to give one positive comment and one comment or suggestion pertaining to improvement on one or two of the others mandalas.

the feedback I received:
- I like the circles, they look like bubbles!
- I really like the gradient of light to dark from top to bottom as well as the square connecting to the large circle. It is extremely well balanced and the choice of medium and colour is perfect. It almost feels like a picture taken from underwater. Well done!
- The colours of this piece are magnificent. Very symmetrical! This piece GLOWS!
- Beautiful/ A more matte finish might have helped to reduce glare though :)
- I love the scale of it. Because of its size, it is extremely eye catching and makes it difficult to look at any other: it really takes the spot light. I think it was a great choice to use the gloss paper - it adds another element to it that makes the piece so eye grabbing.
- I like the transparency of the geometric shapes over each other. I also like the light on the top. Maybe try to use more colours.

The comment about adding more colour was of particular interest to me because I had two finished versions of this piece. the other one included a very slight difference in design, and had more colour.





The reason I did not end up using this one was because when I went to the printers, their magenta's were printing off and needed to be re-calibrated. Over all I am extremely pleased with the way that the piece turned out. If I were to change anything with either of them, it would to be to add the spiral in on the second one and remove the left eye socket. On the first one I might add some fuchsia or magenta in as a glow under the square that contains the mouth portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment